East Montpelier Historical Society, Inc.
Article l – Name
The name of the organization shall be “East Montpelier Historical Society, Inc.”
Article ll -Purpose
The purpose of this society shall be to bring together those people interested in the history of the town of East Montpelier. The society’s major functions will be to discover and collect any material which may help to establish or illustrate the history of the town: printed material, manuscripts, museum material, and material objects illustrative of life, conditions, events, and activities of the past and present.
The society will provide for the preservation of such material and for its accessibility, as far as may be feasible. It will cooperate with officials in insuring the preservation and accessibility of the records and archives of the town, and the preservation of historic buildings, monuments and markers.
The society will disseminate historical information and arouse interest in the past by publishing historical material, by holding meetings and discussion, by marking historic buildings, sites and trails, by participating in area and state historical events and by using all media to awaken public interest.
The society will cooperate with the Vermont Historical Society the Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, and other agencies and organizations to collect and preserve materials so that these materials can be made available to students and scholars.
Article lll – Membership and Dues
Section 1. Membership shall be open to persons, businesses, or organizations interested in the purposes of this society.
Section 2. There shall be seven classes of ordinary membership:
1. Individual Membership – $5.00
2. Family Membership – $10.00
3. Individual Life Membership – $50.00
4. Business Membership – $100.00
5. Sponsor – $500.00
6. Patron – $1,000.00
7. Benefactor – $5,000.00
8. Honorary Membership – No fee, given by vote of the Society.
Section 3. Annual dues shall be payable from the date of the annual meeting.
Article lV – Meetings, Operational and Fiscal Year
Section 1. The Operational Year shall begin on January 1 and end December 31.
Section 2. The Fiscal Year shall begin on January 1 and end December 31.
Section 3. The annual meeting shall be held in October.
Section 4. The schedule of meetings shall be established annually by the membership at the annual meeting.
Section 5. Decisions shall be made by a majority of the members present and voting.
Article V – Officers and Directors
Section 1. The officers of the society shall be president, vice-president secretary, and treasurer.
Section 2. The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
1. The president shall have executive supervision over the activities of the society.
2. The vice-president shall assume the duties of the president in the event of absence, incapacity, or resignation of the president.
3. The secretary shall keep the minutes of the society and of the board of directors. The secretary shall be responsible for correspondence.
4. The treasurer shall be responsible for the safekeeping of society funds, and maintaining financial records, collect dues, keep a membership list, and submit an annual report. All customary operating expenses shall be paid without further approval. All non-routine items shall be brought to the membership for approval.
5. With the exception of the office of the president, the membership may elect one person to fill two offices.
Section 3. All officers shall be elected at the annual meeting for a term of one year
Section 4. A curator shall be elected annually. He/she shall be responsible for the reasonable safekeeping of all materials in the possession of the society.
Section 5. Members-at-Large Two members-at-large shall be elected at the annual meeting.
Section 6. Election shall be by a majority of the members present and voting.
Section 7. The terms for officers, curator and members-at-large shall concur with the Operational Year.
Section 8. The officers, curator and a members-at-large shall constitute the Board of Directors.
1. The Board shall be responsible for suggesting policy for the society and for accepting or rejecting material donations.
2. Except as provided for in Article V, Section 1(1), he Board shall be responsible for filling vacancies in elected offices for the duration of the un-expired term(s).
Article Vl – Committees collect dues, keep a membership list, and submit an annual report
The president, as directed by the membership, as needed, shall appoint committees.
Article Vll – Amendments to the Bylaws
These bylaws may be amended at any meeting by a two-thirds vote of those present and voting, provided notice was given at the previous meeting and notices are sent electronically or mailed to all members at least two weeks prior to the meeting date. All proposed amendments shall be submitted in writing.